COPACS News

Distance Learning / Online Learning Parent Focus Groups

Picture of Copacs Executive
Distance Learning / Online Learning Parent Focus Groups
by Copacs Executive - Tuesday, 21 September 2021, 10:02 PM

Greetings Saanich School District parents - see the invitation below to participate in a province-wide forum regarding online learning - to help inform new provincial online learning policies and processes. 

Good evening DPAC leaders

I write to you today seeking your help in communicating to your PACs and parents regarding the upcoming Online Parent Focus Groups. 

On behalf of the Ministry of Education, I would like to invite parents to participate in a virtual Online Learning Parent Forum. There will be six held in total; independent schools and indigenous students will also be participating in separate events co-hosted by Federation of Independent Schools Association, First Nations Education Steering Committee and Metis Nation British Columbia

As the new online learning policies, processes and other details for the new online learning model are developed during this fall, the Ministry is looking to gather feedback from parents (those currently enrolled in DL/OL and those considering doing so, full time or partial time) on changes to come as well as to share updates on key milestones and some of the online learning workstreams underway (e.g. policy, procedures, provincial schools, quality assurance process).

The Ministry will be co-hosting two parent forums for Public Schools with BCCPAC —one a general forum and one for parents of children with disabilities and diverse abilities. The sessions will be approximately 90 minutes in length and be held between October 5-7th. 

I am seeking parents to participate in one or the other parent forum AND for 1 delegate from each DPAC to attend these sessions. 

Please submit to me via email the parent contact details (SD#, full name, email, and which forum - general or families with students with diverse learning needs - by Monday September 27th, 2021.

Once received, the names will be passed to Ministry staff and attendees will receive a Zoom link by email the week of September 27. Please note that the Ministry and BCCPAC are reviewing the date and time options to best accommodate parents’ ability to attend during the workday. 

The Ministry has also just published a very useful parent information sheet and is updating their website regularly with new information as it becomes available.

We have been communicating with members since early July via our newsletter and on our social media channels. Please review the background and context of the changes to Distributed Learning. 

Thanks for sharing this news with your PACs. I look forward to receiving names to fill up the focus groups.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Regards,

Andrea Sinclair | President

BC Confederation of Parent Advisory Councils (BCCPAC)

Unit C - 2288 Elgin Avenue, Port Coquitlam, BC  V3C 2B2

Direct: 604.554.0796 | Office: 604.474.0524 | Toll-Free: 1.866.529.4397

Twitter: @bccpac | Facebook: @YourBCCPAC | Website: bccpac.bc.ca